NicePack - Maximum Shelf life extension in a natural way
NicePack combines an innovative packing design with an efficient and modular machine to reach the maximum shelf life.
The extended shelf life packaging developed by BrimaPack consists of two unique elements: BrimaFilm AF and the VePack 200PH packing system. The packing system combines an innovative packing design (closed but breathable, tight packing with seal on the bottom) with an efficient and modular machine concept. The machines are designed to be utilized in warehouses as well as directly in the field during harvesting.
Increased shelf life
The BrimaFilm AF has been exclusively developed to increase the shelf life of broccoli and other brassicas such as cauliflower and cabbage. The extension of the shelf life is at least 5 – 8 days (at 17 degrees centigrade). This is reached in a natural way by creating an optimal atmosphere for Broccoli storage and display. The anti-fogging characteristics and packing design further enhances the fresh produce image. The film is optimized for broccoli, without expensive perforation, without adding any chemicals or gasses and without substances applied in the film in order to absorb ethylene gas released from the product.
The benefits of NicePack:
- Extension of the shelf life of fresh broccoli for 5-8 days, compared to other packing materials and methods, is easily achievable!
- Improved sales & fresh product appeal, with superior shelf presentation.
- The shelf life is less affected by non-refrigerated shelves at stores or broken cool chains.
- The retention of green color during storage as a measure of quality and freshness.
- Tastes better for longer.
- Average weight loss less than 1%.
- Due to longer shelf life the waste at retailers is reduced by 50%. (Case study M&S UK)
- Reduction of production, distribution and complaint costs.
- Reduced pressure on the supply chain due to longer shelf life.
- Secondary packaging costs savings. No need for expensive EPS boxes and ice.
- Increases food safety, tamper proof packaging and full traceability.
- Wide range of indoor and outdoor packing solutions.
- Integrated labelling, coding and pre-printed film options can be used.
- Easy to recycle packaging material.
BrimaPack’s NicePack innovation was nominated for the Fruit Logistica Innovation Award 2014.